Roof leaks are a challenge for any homeowner because they never occur in a convenient time. Not only that, they can cause damage to your home. Although you have fixed the problem, the effects of the leak can still be very visible like the development of molds and mildew and stains.
Locating the source of the roof leak
- The first step to look for a leaking is inside your home. Verify that the dripping you have seen inside your home is due to a roof leak and not because of a plumbing issue, roof draining or condensation.
- Once you have confirmed that the leak is due to your roof, measure the location of the leak using 2 fixed points. The 2 fixed points can be vertical to your outer walls, chimney, to your ceiling or to your attic.
- Go to your attic and find the roof leak by using the measurement you got earlier.
- Check out if there are roof penetrations that could have been the cause of the roof leak. These penetrations can be vent pipes for your bathrooms, chimneys or roof vents. Any opening you can find can be the cause of the water leaking inside your house.
How soon can you resolve your roof leak?
Replacing a roof would be very costy so you will have to delay; however, you must know how long you can delay in order not to cause too much damage on your roofing or the interior of your house.
- The design of your roof will decide its durability
There are 2 types of roofing designs: flat roofs and pitched roofs. Flat roofs are the type of roof that easily leaks due to the lack of elevation. It can usually last from 8 to 12 years. You can look for flat roofs that have multiple layers to extend its longevity to 15 to 16 years; however, there are extra costs associated with it. Pitched roofs on the other hands can last up to 10 to 12 years due to their slope. The slope preserves the roof's shingle but the owner has to use ice and water shields for their gutter lines.
- Too much heat exposure can damage your roof quickly
As the sun shines brightest at the southern and western part, shingles exposed to these sides can easily wear down. Once you see that they have started breaking, expect that this would only last for 2 more years before you will have to replace them or suffer roof leak. There is no way to stop its breakage other than replacing these shingles.
- Patching could only do so much
Patching can solve your roof leak temporarily but you have not resolved the real issue for good. The sooner you replace your roof, the less cost it would be. The cost of roofing materials are not going down due to the cost of petroleum, so it is best to buy while they are still affordable for you.