We have all heard the horror stories about people paying what they think are reputable skilled trade workers to do some work on their homes only to find out later that it was a scam. Many homeowners have been left with poor craftsmanship or incomplete renovation projects when they paid good money.
Because this occurs in many trades, and even with commercial roofers, homeowners need to be extra careful about whom they hire to do work for them. Since most people either do not know anyone personally or do not have the skills themselves to complete a roofing project, they need to hire a company to do the job.
Some signs that roofers or a roofing company many not be who they say they are include:
• They only accept cash payment and want the money up front
• They want to do the job under the table
• The price does not make sense
• It is difficult to get references from them
• Their contact information is sketchy. They do not have an office number, website or a business card.
Where to look for reputable commercial roofing companies
For any home renovation project, and especially anything dealing with something as important as your roof, it is very important that you find a reliable and competent roofing company. In this sense, it is a good idea to stick with commercial companies that have developed a reputation in your area and have a good track record of success. Obviously, this means that you absolutely should not hire the guy that comes to your door to offer their roofing services. This is open of the most telltale signs of a scam. So, be weary of people who approach you in this manner.
Here are some tips for searching for a good commercial roofing company:
• Start by asking your friends and family. If they have used a company in the past they will be able to tell you about them.
• Pay attention to radio and TV ads.
• The phone book is a thing of the past. It can be hit or miss, so you might as well skip this option.
• Do a Google search for commercial roofing companies in your area. This should give you more than enough information and should give you a good list of companies to get a quote from.
Keep in mind that when you are searching for companies, make sure they are fully licensed. It is also a good idea to take a look at review online to see what past clients have to say about their service.
Once you narrow down your list of commercial roofing companies that you want to contact you need to collect some information to compare your options. Here is some information you should ask for:
• Get a quote for the project
• Ask for a couple references
• Ask about their license and insurance
• Ask them to come to your home to do an assessment
Never make a quick decision before you collect all the information you need. Your roof is a vital part of your home and making repairs to it is not something that you can afford to take lightly or it could end up costing you a lot more money down the road.