For many homeowners, the state of the economy has altered the amount of time they plan to stay in the same home. One reason for this is because home values have fallen so much that many are now staying in homes that are worth less than what they are worth. Suddenly home repairs are a wise investment for homeowners who would like to increase property values and make their homes are easier to sell. The first repair that homeowners should look into is a roof replacement, because the roof is what protects the rest of the homeowner's investment. For example, it will not matter what kind of paint or wallpaper a homeowner adds to each room if an outdated roof allows rainwater to enter the house and drip down the walls.
When a homeowner calls a commercial roofing company, he or she will need to say more than just "I need a roof replacement." This article will take a look at some of the options that are available to homeowners so that they will be better informed once they start to ask for pitches.
One big decision that will need to be made is what type of materials to use in a roof replacement job. This decision will depend not only on the homeowner's preference, but also on where the home is located. Among the materials that homeowners can choose from are:
- Asphalt composition shingles : This material is cheap and easily obtainable, but is lacking in physical appearance. There are more attractive options and since homebuyers consider "curve appealing" to be a major component when deciding whether or not to buy, homeowners that can afford to do better probably should.
- Rubber, or faux slate : This material is actually made from recycled materials and is gaining in popularity due to its lower price and environmental impact.
- Wood shake : This shingle option is quite a bit more expensive, but is very attractive. The big ruling factor will be whether or not the homeowner can afford it.
- Metal roofing : Metal roofing offers many benefits, such as the fact that it lasts longer than other roofing materials and can be installed over an existing roof. However, the material is difficult to work with and only certain companies know how to complete a roof replacement using metal roofing. While shingles are the cheapest option, metal roofing materials are quite a bit more expensive, so a homeowner needs to be sure that he or she can afford it.
- Slate roofing : This is another high-end, very attractive option that is out of the price range of some homeowners. One major downside is that it is very difficult to walk on, so individuals who expect to be on the roof regularly to adjust satellite dishes or hang Christmas decorations should take this into consideration.
Clearly there are a number of options for homeowner to choose from, and a good commercial roofing company will be able to explain the differences and make suggestions for one's building.