Anytime you are dealing with an insurance company there are certain things you need to do in order to get the results you want. Some are common sense tactics like don’t give unnecessary information. Others are not so common sense tactics like calling a roof restoration specialist before you call your insurance company. The following is a very effective model for approaching your insurance company to file a storm damage claim.
1) Do regular inspections of your home, inside and out, so you can spot any problem areas promptly. Insurers have limitations on the amount of time you have to report damage. You do not want to wait more than a few months to file a claim.
2) When you see or suspect damage to your roof you should not call your insurance company first. You need to call a roof restoration company, like Roof Claim Express, to take advantage of the free inspection services offered. They will come out for free to assess the damage to your roof.
3) Once it is determined by a roof restoration specialist that you have damages warranting a claim you must call your insurance company to notify them of the situation. Your restoration specialist will explain to you the specifics of the damage you have so you can better explain to your insurance company the situation. They will give you advice on the terminology and key words to use with your adjuster. This will increase the likelihood of your claim being approved by your provider.
4) Once your claim is approved they will send you a check (typically 50-75% of the total repair quote). You will give that to the roofing company for them to begin work. They only give you a portion of the money to prevent you from taking the money and not having the repair work done. Also, should you decide to take the money and run you must remember that your roof is not insured until the repair work is done.
5) Once your roof is repaired the insurance company will send you a check for the remaining balance. You will pay the contractor what he is owed. Now you have a new roof with almost no out of pocket cost.
Many times your roofing company can help you get more from your insurance company simply by knowing what to ask and when to ask it. It will pay to have a professional restoration specialist on your side.