When choosing a type of shingles for your new roof replacement, architectural shingles or as they're also known, three dimensional shingles, lead the way in terms of quality, look, superiority, and durability.
Architectural singles were first introduced in the 1970s in order to produce a high-end, quality asphalt shingle that had the look of cedar or slate shingles without any of the drawbacks.
Architectural shingles do not break as easily or get damaged due to insects. They also come in many different styles and colors that will complement your home.
5 Main Benefits of Architectural Shingles over Three Tab Shingles
The following is a list of the most common reasons that people choose to go with three dimensional shingles over three tab shingles.
- Architectural shingles provide a higher level of storm and wind resistance than three tab shingles do.
- Architectural shingles give a "three dimensional" look and feel to a roof.
- The quality put into architectural shingles is greater; they are made heavier, thicker, and more durable without adding too much more weight than a three tab would.
- Three dimensional shingles are much easier and faster to apply. You can expect your roofing contractor to be on the job for much less time making noise and disturbing your house than they would if they were to apply three tab shingles
- Three tab shingles, even on the highest end, only offer wind resistances up to 60 to 80 mph. Three dimensional shingles offer up to 120 mph wind resistance.
Three tab shinglees are becoming a thing of the past. You can expect to start seeing architectural or three dimensional shingles slowly work their way on to the tops of more and more houses all across America where asphalt shingleles are used.
How to Choose Your Roofing Contractor
There are a lot of roofing companies that will tell you that you need a whole new roof when all you really need is a repair. Most reputable companies that have been in business a while know that honesty is the best policy. They will let you know exactly, if any, problems exist.
As winter season approaches, especially if you have a roof that is over 10-years-old, it's a good idea to have a roofing company visit before wintertime arrives. Once you have a roof covered in snow or ice sheets, you could be hard pressed finding someone to climb up on your roof until the ice thaws.
If you are proactive, an experienced roofing contractor will ensure that the vents are sealed around the chimneys and extend the life of your roof. Most things can be easily fixed without costing an arm and a leg.
Sometimes, it's the smallest things that make the difference in a major decision like keeping the roof over your head. Check to make sure that your roofing company will also install roof vents, gutter guards, or even skylights. When thinking about which shingles are right for your roof repair, be sure to ask your local roofing contractor about any questions you may have. They should be more than willing and knowledgeable about the subject to answer any of your questions.